Saturday, July 11, 2009

#34 Reading my own books

This won't count toward the overall 20 because it is a re-read. Still...

Seraph on the Suwanee Seraph on the Suwanee by Zora Neale Hurston


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is a re-read for me, I wanted to find the present day slang that is used in this 1940's book about the early 1900's. Its interesting to me the way sayings such as "fly" and "hitting a lick" have survived. The book itself is enjoyable, but I found Arvay to be SO frustrating in her insecurities, but, I could understand where she was coming from and how, a lot of times our ignorance will cause us to cut off our noses to spite our faces. I appreciated this exploration of communication, and how it can go awry. I wonder what it takes to effectively communicate? One of THE hardest tasks!!! Although it's a love story with deep roots, there is a thread of violence interwoven with religion, power, and poverty. An enjoyably complex book that I will re-read again.


View all my reviews.

No comments: